Tuesday, July 26, 2011

best. cupcake. ever.

Yesterday, I discovered a new favorite cupcake recipe, and that's saying a LOT considering I didn't think anything could ever beat my love for my grandma's Red Velvet recipe! I wanted to try a cupcake dipped in ganache, so I googled and found the perfect recipe to try! You can find the recipe here:

This was my first time taking photos of the steps as I was mixing & baking, and I missed a few, but you'll get the general idea!

 All the dry ingredients!


 Dry ingredients mixed together. 
(my 3 year old's favorite part - he says "It's my job, mom!")


 LOVE my KitchenAid stand mixer! It was a hand-me-down from my mother in law when she got a new one. How did I bake without this before?!


Cream the butter & sugar until light & fluffy!

 The finished batter!

I am totally loving my new scoop! Perfectly portioned, even cupcakes!

 The recipe called for chocolate chips sprinkled on top of the batter before baking! This is the first time I've made cupcakes with chocolate chips on top, I totally expected them to just melt in!

 I was surprised to see the chocolate chips still whole when I took the cupcakes out of the oven! They are a yummy surprise under the frosting! Also, a great tip I read somewhere: run a toothpick around the outside of every cupcake right after taking them out of the oven! This prevents any overfilled batter from sticking to your pan & ruining your cupcakes when you try to take them out!


 The to-die-for mint buttercream frosting! I'm out of piping bags, so I just filled a ziploc & cut one of the corners off, since I was just doing simple swirls. I've seen a team on Cupcake Wars who can make gorgeous swirled frosting using only a spatula! I thought it was a little rude when they were scoffing at the other teams using piping bags, but it's definitely a skill I wouldn't mind learning, haha!


 The chocolate ganache! It took about 45 seconds in my microwave, you want the cream warm to the touch & the chocolate just barely starting to melt, so that the chocolate is not cooked! The whisk was the perfect choice to help mix & finish melting the chocolate!


Dipping the cupcakes in the ganache was probably my favorite part! I double dipped them, letting the ganache dry just a bit in between. I had quite a bit of ganache left, so I dipped some graham crackers too, which my boys have been loving!

 I sprinkled Andes mint baking chips on the wet ganache, and then let the ganache firm up a little more in the refrigerator. I think it's so cute how the mint buttercream peeks out from underneath the ganache! I'm also loving my display tower that I got on clearance at Walmart, only $4!


 Some of my new mark. products in front of the cupcake display, to use as the picture for my "sugar sugar" cupcake+mark. party event! Local followers, check out the details on facebook!

Without the flash. 

There you have it, my new favorite cupcakes! I'll still be making the Red Velvet for our birthday parties, since it's a tradition I want to keep, but these cupcakes will be my guilty pleasure from now on, haha! 

Do you have a favorite cupcake recipe? I'd love to try it out! Next up on my list is finding a delicious cupcake with less dairy ingredients, for a friend who tries to be dairy-free as much as possible!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Those look absolutely delicious! I'm totally jealous - might have to try to bake something this weekend. :]

    ReplyDelete